Work with a company where expansion of productivity and profits for their customers and audiences are the measure of success. Areas of expertise include digital content, online marketing, social media, and product management for consumer-based websites. My aim is to work with a funded start-up or within the Internet division at an agency or company to dedicate and leverage my best-of-breed entrepreneurial background in a respected, ethical and high-growth organization.
Statement of Experience
Combining excellent academic credentials and 15 years of high-impact professional experience at ground zero for the Internet industry in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, Seattle, and New York City, I've worked inside market-leading companies defining the online medium and brands, increasing online market penetration and sales, developing online products and content, and managing clients and virtual teams. I am also the founder of a publishing company NetLingo.com, and a contributor to the dialogue about the information age.
- Masters Degree: M.S. Industrial Psychology, 1990 - London School of Economics, London, England
- Bachelors Degree: B.A. Psychology, 1989 - Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
NetLingo Inc. - http://www.netlingo.com
Founder (part-time 1995 - 2014)
- Writer, editor and publisher of the Web's leading Internet dictionary, NetLingo.com, award-winning site since 1995.
- Researched and wrote two books "NetLingo the Internet Dictionary" (2002) and "NetLingo: The List" (2014).
- Create cutting-edge applications including PHP website, custom CMS, mobile, iPhone and iPad apps.
- Generate ongoing brand name awareness, knowledge, and press coverage:
>> Featured television footage on MSNBC, CNN, Fox, Sci-Fi, TNT, Oxygen, Martha Stewart Show;
>> 100+ news reviews in leading publications: New York Times, London Times, Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Chronicle, Good Housekeeping, Real Simple, Fortune, USA Today, People;
>> Awards include "Best 100 Website of the Year" by PC Magazine (two years in a row);
>> Online market penetration - linked to by more than 100,000 websites, ranked #42,813 by Alexa, ranked #676 in Google's Top 1000 Websites based on page rank;
>> See press clippings here (http://www.netlingo.com/press/all-press-clippings.php).
- Grow and manage databases of 5000+ Web pages and 20,000+ subscribers to generate online ad revenue.
- Manage affiliate and search marketing accounts for acquisition; drive social media presence for retention.
- Oversee customer support and order fulfillment; set up sales at 200+ accounts and 950+ B&N Bookstores.
- Use e-commerce technology and POD for secure online transactions and digital information product sales.
- Research and analyze international website traffic statistics to measure, monitor, and report on new trends.
- Forecast budget and evaluate ROI to ensure alignment of strategies for profitable business engagements.
Advertising Research Foundation, New York, NY - http://www.thearf.org & http://my.thearf.org
Director of Digital Content and Online Operations, Product Manager (2010 - 2013)
- Oversaw the development, design, content, and programming of a new and improved ARF website.
- Integrated multiple third-party technical and content providers and managed account services on My ARF (http://my.thearf.org).
- Responsible for the ongoing management, publishing, design, and editing of the company website, email newsletters and mobile, iPhone and iPad apps.
- Monitored Web server and site technical performance; increased SEO rankings.
- Promoted the website to internal and external audiences; organized informational sessions and encouraged promotion of the site through other departmental communication vehicles.
- Created insightful reports to analyze website traffic and the effectiveness of email campaigns.
- Maximized online affiliate opportunities and sponsorship revenue generation for the ARF brand.
- Sourced and managed new revenue generating online marketing opportunities and circulated efficient and accurate reporting, detailing results of Web marketing campaigns.
- Participated as a Judge for the 2013 David Ogilvy Awards.
Alternative Health Journal, Los Angeles, CA - http://www.alternativehealthjournal.com
Director of Digital Content and Community, Product Manager (2007 - 2009)
- Created online publishing brand for direct marketing company; oversaw all operations relating to AHJ.
- Editor-in-Chief of online health publication; co-created custom CMS; responsible for all editorial content, style guidelines, and scheduling on the website and in high-circ newsletters.
- Managed text and video content providers; managed design, programming, SEO, and blogging contractors.
- Managed alpha, beta, and final launches of 10+ company websites and mobile, iPhone and iPad apps.
- Worked virtually with teams nationwide to ensure content, graphics, video, and promotional materials are consistent with Web strategies, brand guidelines and industry standards; oversaw freelance writer team.
- Provided competitive analysis of category-related sites, and content and community-related sites.
- Developed and implemented community and social marketing strategy for customer acquisition and retention.
- Increased online sales of direct marketing products; re-purposed original content on expert sites and radio.
- Managed deliverables on time, within budget; provided weekly updates and statistical reporting and analysis.
MyThings Inc., Silicon Valley, CA - http://www.mythings.com
Director of Digital Content and Community, Online Marketing Manager (2006 - 2007)
- Ground floor member of VC-funded start-up creating consumer site to store, share, and appraise belongings.
- Division leader and team player in alpha, beta, and final launches in U.S. and U.K.
- Worked virtually with teams worldwide in Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, Chicago, London, Tel Aviv.
- Lead member of brand police; oversaw strategy and decision making for branding, positioning, and naming.
- Participated in market research and analysis; recruited employees, colleagues, interns for testing.
- Provided competitive analysis of category-related sites, and content and community-related sites.
- Created detailed, technical editorial style guidelines, wrote and edited all copy on websites.
- Oversaw domain name structure, URL acquisition, naming architecture, and SEO marketing.
- Supervised content localization for U.K. and U.S. markets; helped define a new product in a new category.
- Managed design, search engine, and editorial contractors; assisted with product development specs.
- Developed and implemented community strategy and activity for customer acquisition and retention.
- Managed deliverables on time, within budget; contributed to project management GANTT chart.
Write Image and Microsoft Partner Program, Seattle, WA - now http://www.metia.com
Senior Account Manager, Project Manager, Digital Content Manager (2004-2006)
- Served as team lead for company's main account, Microsoft Partner Program (http://partner.microsoft.com).
- Supervised 4 people in an editorial, content management, promotions, and client-services capacity.
- Responsible for all content for the Microsoft Partner homepage, internal pages, and high-circ newsletters.
- Participated in Online Partner Initiatives and provided reports to increase customer and partner satisfaction.
- Assisted with the development and launch of a new homepage design; main liaison with design company.
- Established an online Editorial Calendar to track and create content updates and promotions.
- Oversaw and delivered regular team status reports; monitored work via timesheets.
- I also compiled and wrote Marketing Communications Plans with Account Director to generate new business; I became an Account Manager for a semantic search client and oversaw daily client relations; and I was the Project Manager for the design group and developed workflow, oversaw estimates, and managed scheduling.
Independent Consultant, Los Angeles, CA - http://erinjansen.com
Digital Content Manager, Project Manager, Online Marketing Manager (full-time 5 years, 1999 - 2003)
- Conceptualized and created websites, intranets, extranets, and blogs for companies and organizations.
- Consulted and coached small businesses to move towards Internet channels as marketing expansion.
- Managed production of online activities from product concept through completion, responsible for feature development, adhering to technical requirements, testing, launching, and quality assurance.
- Measured impact of site architecture based on usability and market research.
- Authored, edited, and updated content and images on a daily basis and by advance scheduling.
- Established client needs, communicated and managed design and development teams to meet deadlines.
- Documented and recommended best practices with regard to Web programs, analyzed market trends, reported on industry events, and recommended site improvements to meet changing market needs.
- Clients include ReedShay.com, Sprint, Microsoft; see Client List here (http://www.erinjansen.com/port.html).
Office Depot, Inc., San Francisco, CA - http://www.officedepot.com
Digital Content Manager, Project Manager, Online Marketing Manager (1997 - 1998)
- Employee #2 in the online division; developed, designed, tested, launched and managed multiple channels.
- Created community business plan, negotiated, hired and managed third-party vendors and contractors.
- Managed daily publishing deadlines and operations, inputted editorial via content management system.
- Culled and edited user feedback, developed and implemented new interactive marketing tools such as "in my opinion" to meet marketing objectives; collaborated on "shopping list" to foster customer retention.
- Created and executed topic area content plans per editorial calendar, established project-specific work descriptions and agreements; scheduled completion parameters and budgets for all topic areas.
- Published articles, product reviews, columns, features, how-to help sections; managed and monitored online discussion forums, provided customer service via e-mail responders, re-purposed content in newsletters.
- Collaborated with creative director, director of product development, new business development director, programmers to coordinate and implement consistent online programs within co-marketing platforms.
- Oversaw and improved intranet site for use by a wide variety of in-house corporate groups.
CNET: The Computer Network, San Francisco, CA - http://www.cnet.com
Senior Online Crusader, Advertising Agency Client Consultant (1997)
- One of the earliest employees at CNET; assisted advertising clients with online marketing campaigns.
- Managed support team of 3 people to identify requirements for new programs based on statistical research.
- Provided sales support for leading websites: CNET.COM, NEWS.COM, DOWNLOAD.COM.
- Presented to C-level executives and advertising agencies our evaluations of online advertising goals, creative, placement, and strategy; provided extensive performance reviews and interpretation of traffic statistics.
- Traveled nationwide and worked strategically with 90+ ad agencies and Internet companies to develop and evaluate website landing pages for ease of navigation and usability in order to increase customer conversion.
- Participated in the Internet Advertising Bureau's International Committee; spoke at regional events put on by advertising agencies and media groups to educate business community about online marketing.
- Trained small and large groups of industry elite regarding Do's and Don'ts of Online Advertising, Online Marketing Principles, and Bleeding Edge Technologies; primary point of contact at partner events.
- Gave presentations at embassies, colleges, and conferences; participated in national trade shows.
- Provided leadership and mentoring to junior team members.
CareerMosaic, New York, NY and Silicon Valley, CA - now http://www.careerbuilder.com
Digital Content Manager, Online Marketing Manager, Online Editor (1996)
- Oversaw content and creative development for multiple channels on the website.
- Developed navigational strategies and editorial content, supervised graphic production.
- Conceptualized and authored affiliate online marketing sites, wrote and edited feature articles.
- Developed strategy and growth plan for online division; participated in national trade shows.
- Trained advertising agency staff nationwide on using the Internet and the benefits of online marketing.
- Assisted primary liaison for international business partners, developed international clients and alliances.
Non-Stop Internet, Inc., New York, NY
- Hired and supervised 5 full-time and 4 part-time staff; managed new biz dev and client services.
- Produced 20+ websites including one of the first online community websites (see Client List).
- Oversaw content, design, marketing, and production; implemented new media strategies.
- Handled corporate operations, resource planning and allocation, board of directors and shareholder meetings.
- Gave public & corporate seminars and participated in key networking organizations and events.
Interactive Marketing Services, Inc., New York, NY
New Business Development Manager, Account Manager (1994)
- Provided sales and marketing support for early Internet business directory (competitors of Yahoo!).
- Negotiated joint ventures including a contract with a travel company earning over $1 billion in annual sales.
Strategic Response Direct Marketing, Los Angeles, CA
Executive Assistant to VP of New Business Development and VP of Direct Marketing (1991 - 1993)
- Performed all administrative duties including phones, travel, meetings, presentations; projects included:
- Rock The Vote - wrote direct mail copy, newsletter articles, PR materials, TV commercial scripts; performed extensive online research, tracked and fulfilled customer relations for 250,000 member database.
- Magazine Affinity Renewal Services - designed marketing packages for publishers; researched and analyzed demographics for subscription renewal, wrote telemarketing scripts, edited direct mail copy.
- Clinton-for-President Campaign - provided administrative support for nationwide direct mail campaign, downloaded top-level research and distributed information, designed text and desktop publishing templates, tracked responses and fulfillment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; professional editor and certified project manager
- Strategic and analytical thinker; strong research and forecasting skills (architect and bricklayer)
- Strong knowledge of marketing strategies; strong organization, prioritization and planning skills
- Able to work independently, meet deadlines and goals; able to multi-task and travel
- Advanced knowledge of computing programs including Mac & PC programs, database, e-mail,
HTML, FTP, graphics, scheduling, spreadsheet, CMS, mobile, iPhone, iPad apps, etc.
- Able to deal effectively with all departments and people at all levels; strong presentation skills
- Public speaking; interviewed on television, radio, and in newspaper and magazine articles
- Experience with VIPs; ambassador qualities, wide knowledge of world culture, natural leader
- Academic degrees in psychology + business = marketing; strong knowledge of popular culture
- Expert in the online world of business, technology, and communication; community organizer
- 15+ years entrepreneurial and professional experience, 10+ years in management
- Recognized as a "Top 25 Women in Tech to Watch" at the AlwaysOn Venture Summit in Silicon Valley on December 8, 2009: http://www.netlingo.com/news/Top25womanintech.pdf
- Non-profit experience as a trainer for an international women's organization "Upon Arrival" - gave public seminars and training workshops to ambassador's wives and spouses of Fortune 500 company transplants about culture shock; published article on cross-cultural adaptation; certified as a cross-cultural trainer
- Member of the Internet Advertising Bureau, National Association of Women Business Owners, Publishers Marketing Association, Ad Club, Ad Tech, Web 2.0, and the Surfrider Foundation
- Interviewed on 20+ radio stations including NPR; participated in new media broadcasts "Wild@Start"
- Referenced in more than 100 newspaper articles: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fortune, People
- Appeared live on numerous in-studio TV shows: The Martha Stewart Show, FOX, CNN, BBC, and MSNBC
References Available Upon Request
Erin Jansen * Tel: 805-794-8687 * E-mail: erin_jansen @ yahoo.com * http://www.erinjansen.com